Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pork Picadillo

from Everyday Food
1 T olive oil
3 lb ground pork (or lean ground beef)
1 medium onion,finely c
1 28 oz. can of Muir Glenn diced tomatoes
2 chiptole chilies (in adobo sauce), finely chopped1 tsp of the adobo sauce from the chiptole peppers
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 C tomato paste
1 tsp regular chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 C raisins
2T cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste


Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a dutch oven and brown the ground meat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add tomato paste, chipotles, chili powder cinnamon, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and liquid, vinegar. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until thick, 35-40 minutes. Add raisins. Serve with rice.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love picadillo--though I've never had it with chipotle peppers in it, I'm sure that it's quite good.

In fact, when I lived in Key West I used to love to get moyetes (I don't know how it's spelled, but that's how it sounds)--they're small loaves of cuban bread hollowed out, filled with picadillo and deep fried. Holy moly those were yummy!

Harmony said...

I love the taste of the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This dish was alright not as good as the recipI have posted for shrimp or chicken with chipotle peppers. Oh well I will keep trying new recipes. I am glad i tried this recipe, it was simple enough and not that expensive.