Friday, May 30, 2008

Aunt Ida's Poppy Seed Cookies


3C flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 C poppy seeds
1 C vegetable oil
1C sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Set the oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat. In a large bowl sift together the flour and baking powder;stir in the poppy seeds. In a medium bowl whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix to combine. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out portions of dough, roll and place on baking sheet 2" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Let cool for 2 minutes and then cool completely on wire racks.

2 comments:

LMorland said...

Hi! I'm so happy to see a photo of "Aunt Ida's Poppy Seed Cookies." The Brass Sisters didn't publish one, and the photo accompanying the NPR story about the sisters shows a MUCH LARGER cookie.

I just baked (part of) my first batch, and I'm relieved to see that mine came out pretty much like yours.

However, my batch didn't live up to the hype. They are less sweet and crunchy than I had imagined.

Was it, I wonder, because I used canola oil instead of peanut? (That's all I had on hand, and I was also down to two eggs, and so used a substitute [mashed bananas + 2 T oil] that I found on the Web.)

My problem may be that I used turbinado sugar, and it's not as sweet as "regular" white sugar.

In any case, the dough is so oily that it's almost repellent. I'll try again with the cookies.

What did you think of them?

Harmony said...

I thought they were o.k. They did brown quickly. Maybe because of all the "fats"? I would try them again with 3 eggs and vegetable oil. I like wine cookies betted than these. They have a better flavor.