2 cups soaked or canned cannellini or great northern white beans
2 sprigs fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon fresh or ⅛ teaspoon dried sage
2 sprigs fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1¾ cups yellow onion, finely chopped
1½ cups carrots, peeled and diced
1½ cups celery, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon fresh or ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
⅛ teaspoon fresh or pinch of dried sage
⅛ teaspoon fresh or pinch of dried oregano
8 C water
1 Pecorino Romano rind
1. Rinse beans and place in a pot. Cover with 3 inches of water and add a sachet of rosemary, sage, thyme and garlic. Bring to boil then cook at low simmer 45 minutes to an hour.
2. When beans are tender but still al dente, add salt to pot. Meanwhile, in large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté until golden.
4. Add carrots, celery and ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté 3 minutes.
5. Add garlic, thyme, sage and oregano, and sauté 2 minutes.
6. Add ¼ cup of water. Allow liquid to evaporate. Add 6 cups more water and drained beans. Simmer 20 minutes. Add more stock if necessary.
7. You may add a squeeze of lemon juice or a final pinch of salt for taste. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Sunday, January 2, 2011