Friday, March 7, 2008

Utica Tomatoe Pie

My first Challenge for : Please check out this great blog for info:PROUD ITALIAN COOK




Tonight's dinner was Utica tomato pie, salad and a wonderful glass of Liberty School Paso Robles 2005 Cabernet. The pizza is a local dish I will give my recipe that I doctored a bit and the original recipe. For the salad i just used a bag salad, artichoke hearts, feta cheese and my favorite Olive Garden dressing( I love this dressing, we always buy some for home).

Tomato Pie( My recipe):

In 2T olive oil saute 4 cloves garlic minced and 1 whole medium onion, brown but do not burn. Now add 2 8 oz. cans Muir Glenn tomato sauce, 1 14 oz. can Muir Glenn diced tomatoes, 2 tsp. dried basil, 2 tsp. sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low for 45 minutes. Toss onion ,out and cool for a bit before using. On a pizza dough( I used homemade, but you can use store bought) place cooled sauce and top with 3-4 to 1C grated pecorino romano cheese. Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Tomato Pie ( original) In a saucepan heat 4 T olive oil. Add 2 crushed cloves garlic and saute briefly, taking care not to let garlic brown. Add a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes and drop a whole small onion. Add 1 tsp. dried basil and 2 tsp. sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Toss onion and cool sauce. Top a pizza crust with sauce and sprinkle approximately 1/2 C grated pecorino roman cheese. bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes.


Now for the wine, the Liberty School tonight had a great fruity taste that was not to overpowering. No aftertaste whatsoever. Excellent mellow taste that really was great with the sauce.

7 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Harmony, Thank you for this tasty addition to "Festa Italiana" I'm so glad that you're joining us, see you at the roundup!

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for joining us :)

Amanda said...

Yum! I'm actually in the area and have grown to love tomato pie. At first, I didn't like it, because I associated it with pizza... but once I was able to think of it as it's own creature, I found it's true beauty!

Harmony said...

Hello Mrs. W. Thank you for coming over and commenting. I have always loved tomato pie. I was really excited when i saw a recipe posting in the Syracus epaper and I had to make it. Well nothing compares with Napoli's in Utica. By the way I checked out you blog and it is really nice. I want to try the corn cakes.

Amanda said...

Thank you, Harmony! Do let me know if you try the corncakes, and how you like them!

I don't think I've tried Napoli's. I think the type that I have eaten is B&L? But these days I don't eat bread, so I guess I'll have to wait on trying "the good stuff." Hehe!

MA & PA Walker said...

Thanks for the tomatoe pie recipe! For our son's birthday celebration he wanted this Utica favorite. We moved away last year and googled tomatoe pie utica recipe and found your recipe.

Harmony said...

Thank you for stopping by. Please let me know how the tomato pie comes out.
What a beautiful home you had on Monumental Rd. hopefully you are happy with your new home. Happy birthday to your son!